Python distutil: build libraries before modules

Bo Peng bpeng at rice.edu
Mon May 1 21:20:58 EDT 2006

Dear list,

My python modules depend on a few boost libraries. For convenience, I
include the source code of these libraries with my distribution and
treat them as standard source files. This results in huge cc.exe command
lines and I get an error saying
   error: command 'cc' failed: Invalid argument
under win32/mingw. (I am not quite sure this is the reason though.)

How can I let setup.py build these boost libraries separately so that I
can link them to my modules? This will also save some link time because
all my python modules link to the same boost libraries.

Many thanks in advance.
Bo