Another option - Re: saving settings

aum aum at spam.me.please
Mon May 29 16:30:02 EDT 2006

On Mon, 29 May 2006 09:05:36 +0200, SuperHik wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wondering how to make a single .exe file, say some kind od clock,
> and be able to save some settings (alarm for example) into the same
> file? Basically make code rewrite it self...
>
> thanks!

Another option I thought of:
 - get the Nullsoft NSIS installer
 - write a Python wrapper to NSIS if desired
 - within your app, include:
    - embedded py2exe
    - embedded/wrapped NSIS
 - within your app offer a menu option to 'export this
   program', which changes data files as needed, then invokes
   py2exe and NSIS to create a whole new installer exe

That way, you'd have what you're after - a way to distribute your app,
including its current state, as a single EXE file. Also, it would have the
advantage of this EXE being an installer which sets up start menu
shortcuts.

--

Cheers
aum