Running Python scripts under a different user

Laszlo Nagy gandalf at designaproduct.biz
Mon May 29 08:01:43 EDT 2006

>>  From what you wrote, I think that you need to change architecture. You
>> should write your own service rather than write tricky programs. This
>> way you can develop your own security system, and restrict access to
>> specific files/programs. You can write tools that can connect to your
>> service. The service program can be ran on the background, with
>> sufficient privileges. How does it sound?
>
> [Bermard] Any ressource you could point me to as to write services?
> I'm totally unexperienced with that.
I'm sorry, I was out of town in the weekend. You can try to write a
multi-threaded application server that provides services through TCP/IP.
Probably, the easiest to start with an existing framework:

http://twistedmatrix.com/projects/core/
http://www.webwareforpython.org/

There are many other libraries, you can look for them in the cheeseshop.

http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi

You can also develop your own protocol with SocketServer or xmlrpc:

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-SocketServer.html
http://docs.python.org/lib/module-xmlrpclib.html

Best,

   Laszlo