This coding style bad practise?

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Wed May 3 19:11:17 EDT 2006

keirr wrote:
> Martin P. Hellwig wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I created a class which creates a relative unique id string, now my
>> program just works fine and as expected but somehow I get the feeling
>> that I misused the __repr__ since I guess people expect to 'execute' a
>> function in an instance instead of using it's representation string of
>> the instance itself, could you elaborate whether you find this bad
>> practice and if yes what would have been a better way to do it?
>>
>> TIA
>>

> Rather than comment on the style of using a class, I'll just suggest an
> alternative.
> You can use a generator function, which yields the next id when called;
> at least that's
> how I'd implement an IDgenerator.
>
> Cheers,
>
>  Keir.

Thanks for your comment, I do use a generator in my class because I
wanted to wrap my subversion when its on its end I had a choice of
looping in with an if check or using a generator with try except, this
time I choose a generator, though mostly I directly use a generator for
these type of functions.

--
mph