Swaying A Coder Away From Python

Sion Arrowsmith siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu May 4 11:20:32 EDT 2006

>On 4 May 2006 05:24:40 -0700, BartlebyScrivener <rpdooling at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm picking this up via clp on Google Groups. I can't tell what Mr.
>> Lundh is referring to. The first line of his post is: "Tim Williams
>> wrote" but there's nothing that comes before.

Similarly, I'm reading this via comp.lang.python and the original
article hasn't shown up at this site.

Tim Williams <tdw at tdw.net> wrote:
>I found the web version at.
>
>http://www.devwebpro.co.uk/devwebprouk-46-20060503SwayingACoderAwayFromPython.html

Wherein we find:

He also listed a few reasons why C# appeals to him over Python or Java:
* anonymous functions (delegates)
* a python-like yield statement
* a nice type system with generics
* interfaces
* properties (Yay!!)

So that's two of the five Python has, one explicitly acknowledged,
plus the combination of lambda and functions-as-first-class-objects
is as good as (or better than) "anonymous functions (delegates)".
And then we get onto personal preferences as to how to do type
systems. That's not a great deal with which to sway someone.

--
\S -- siona at chiark.greenend.org.uk -- http://www.chaos.org.uk/~sion/
  ___  |  "Frankly I have no feelings towards penguins one way or the other"