NaN handling

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Sat May 6 17:06:00 EDT 2006

On 2006-05-06, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu> wrote:

>> That's Python 2.4.1 on Mac OS X.

> Traceback (most recent call last):
>   File "<pyshell#5>", line 1, in -toplevel-
>     float("NaN")
> ValueError: invalid literal for float(): NaN
>
> As Tim Peters has said often enough, this sort of thing is specific to the
> underlying C library and will remain so until someone cares enough to write
> or fund a cross-platform solution.

Yea, that's a royal PITA.  I had to add my own code into the
"pickle" classes to handle NaNs.  Having a pickler that only
works for a subset of the legal IEEE FP values proved to be
sort of useless.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Were these parsnips
                                  at               CORRECTLY MARINATED in