Compiling Python from Sources

mensanator at aol.com mensanator at aol.com
Wed May 24 19:23:18 EDT 2006

rwr wrote:
<snip>

> configure:1687: checking for gcc
> configure:1703: found /usr/bin/gcc
> configure:1713: result: gcc

At this point, configure thinks you have the gcc compiler installed.

> configure:1753: checking for C++ compiler default output file name
> configure:1756: gcc    conftest.cc  >&5

Now it's going to invoke the compiler to see what kind of output it
creates.

> gcc: installation problem, cannot exec 'cc1plus': No such file or
> directory

The gcc compiler is complaining that it cannot find the file cc1plus.
The problem appears to be with the installation of gcc. If gcc was
included in your default os setup, you may need to re-install it as
the default setup may not include all the options (such as installing
the c compiler but not the c++ compiler).

I ran into a similar problem with Cygwin. In the setup program you
have to specifically tell it which compilers to install. Which it does.
But it doesn't include the tools needed by similar configuration
programs such as make and m4. Those are in a different section
of the setup program and you need to know which ones to install.
There's no option for "install everything I need to compile c/c++
programs". In my case, I had to run configure over and over again
each time going through the log finding a new missing file, re-install,
and repeat until the errors stopped.

> configure:1759: $? = 1
> configure: failed program was:
> | /* confdefs.h.  */
> |
> | #define _GNU_SOURCE 1
> | #define _NETBSD_SOURCE 1
> | #define __BSD_VISIBLE 1
> | #define _BSD_TYPES 1
> | #define _XOPEN_SOURCE 600
> | #define _XOPEN_SOURCE_EXTENDED 1
> | #define _POSIX_C_SOURCE 200112L
> | /* end confdefs.h.  */
> |
> | int
> | main ()
> | {
> |
> |   ;
> |   return 0;
> | }
> configure:1798: error: C++ compiler cannot create executables
> See `config.log' for more details.

<snip>