Serializing / Unserializing datetime

John Machin sjmachin at lexicon.net
Sun May 28 18:14:07 EDT 2006

On 29/05/2006 6:27 AM, Gerard Flanagan wrote:

> I don't think it's what you want but I had the following on file - it
> uses time.strptime() which I didn't know there was a problem with.

In 2.3, time.strptime became a pure-Python routine, thus losing its
dependency on the existence and correctness of the strptime in the C
library.

However, the whole time module has a problem: the range of years it
handles -- 1970 to 2038 (maybe). This is documented on the first page of
The Fine Manual. Not very useful for customer's date of birth, and (as
Brendan indicated), likely to cause Y2.038K problems.

Cheers,
John