Python script for remotely shutting down Windows PC from Linux ?

Diez B. Roggisch deets at nospam.web.de
Tue May 16 09:28:57 EDT 2006

> Next, I wrote a script that would log me in and also shut the windows
> pc down, so I wrote a script
>
> ssh Admin at IP_ADDR  # connects me fine now without problems (LOCAL)
> shutdown -s            # This is a windows command (REMOTE)
>
> Now, when I run this script, it successfully logs me into the windows
> box but doesn't run the second part of the script which is to shut down
> the windows PC. Can you please tell me why ??

Because you execute both commands locally. ssh opens a connection to the
remote machine. Then if that connection is terminated, the next command is
executed. LOCALLY!

Use

ssh Admin at IP_ADDR shutdown -s

to execute commands remote using ssh.

> Is there a way using Python script to perform this operation ?

use the subprocess module or shellutils to execute the above.

Diez