Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code

Edmond Dantes edmond at le-comte-de-monte-cristo.biz
Wed May 17 18:40:40 EDT 2006

Oliver Bandel wrote:

> opalpa at gmail.com opalinski from opalpaweb wrote:
> Yes, as I started programming I also preferred tabs.
> And with growing experience on how to handle this in true life
> (different editors/systems/languages...) I saw, that
> converting the "so fine tabs" was annoying.
>
> The only thing that always worked were spaces.
> Tab: nice idea but makes programming an annoyance.
>
> Ciao,
>     Oliver

It all depends on your editor of choice. Emacs editing of Lisp (and a few
other languages, such as Python) makes the issue more or less moot. I
personally would recommend choosing one editor to use with all your
projects, and Emacs is wonderful in that it has been ported to just about
every platform imaginable.

The real issue is, of course, that ASCII is showing its age and we should
probably supplant it with something better. But I know that will never fly,
given the torrents of code, configuration files, and everything else in
ASCII. Even Unicode couldn't put a dent in it, despite the obvious growing
global development efforts. Not sure how many compilers would be able to
handle Unicode source anyway. I suspect the large majority of them would
would choke big time.

Oh well...

--
-- Edmond Dantes, CMC
And Now for something Completely Different: