misleading prefix ++

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Sat May 20 08:43:57 EDT 2006

LuciferLeo at gmail.com wrote:
> given i = 0,
> I know i = i + 1 and i += 1 are all correct
> but when I type:

> the interpreter replies:
>   File "<stdin>", line 1
>     i++
>       ^
> SyntaxError: invalid syntax
>
> so I get the idea that suffix ++ is invalid in python
> but when I input:

> and the interpreter replies
> 0
>
> Don't you think it is misleading when you expect a variable to
> increment?

Terribly. So stop expecting it to increment :)

Seriously, --i is also valid Python. Both expressions apply two unary
operators to a name. Would you have these become illegal, or start to
mean increment/decrement? Either change would break years of backwards
compatibility.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119
Love me, love my blog  http://holdenweb.blogspot.com