John Bokma harassment

Ian Wilson scobloke2 at infotop.co.uk
Wed May 24 06:29:07 EDT 2006

ilitzroth at gmail.com wrote:
> Xah Lee schreef:
>
>> <snip: plea for sympathy after being reported to ISP for persistent off-topic postings>

Which reminds me of
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#not_losing

> We seem to have strayed a long way from Voltaire's
> "I do not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your
> right to say it.",

I don't think we have. Surely Voltaire didn't support speaking in
inappropriate fora? He didn't support causing a public nuisance?

Would you lay down *your* life to defend Xah's "right" to wallpaper your
street, your church, your school with printed essays about his personal
obsessions?

In societies with a right to free speech, there are limits on where and
how you may exercise that right. For example, you don't have a right to
force any newspaper or TV station to publish your speech.

Xah's ISP can decide whether their terms of service provide Xah with a
"right" to publish anything he wishes through their facilities
regardless of established standards of appropriateness.