Using python for a CAD program

Redefined Horizons redefined.horizons at gmail.com
Tue May 23 09:41:28 EDT 2006

This is a very interesting discussion. :]

I regularly use CAD and GIS programs at work, and have dabbled in
traditional RDBMS design. I ran into a problem with an open source GIS
program I work with, that reads all features in a shapefile into memory.
This limits the use of the program, given the size of many geospatial data
sets.

I decided we needed to implement a system for storage of features and
geometries that would overcome this memory limitation. I looked at existing
RDBMS and Object-Oriented Databases and decided it would be better to start
from scratch. I am designing an object oriented-database that will work with
CAD and GIS systems. The first implementation will be in Java, but I hope to
create an implementation in Python as well.

It will have features like undo/redo (transactions) and mulit-user access. I
am no expert programmer, so I'm not sure how great this will work, but I
know it will be better than the system we have now.

Scott Huey