Counterproductive goals (was Re: code vetting)

Ben Finney bignose+hates-spam at benfinney.id.au
Sat May 6 19:18:43 EDT 2006

Edward Elliott <nobody at 127.0.0.1> writes:

> I think both your goal and his (spreading free software at the
> expense of non-free) are counterproductive.

Huh? A goal is counterproductive? By what do you measure
"counterproductive", if not the goal?

> Organizations (and people) should look for the software that best
> fits their needs.  Sometimes that means highest technical quality.
> Sometimes it means open standards or open source.  Sometimes it
> means features X, Y, and Z.  Sometimes it means vendor support.
> Often it's a combination.  A successful project should focus on
> discovering and meeting its users' needs.

Again, success is measured by the goal. My goal is to increase the
freedom of software users.

> Spreading open source for its own sake helps no one.

Increasing the freedom of software users helps all software users,
except those who want that freedom restricted.

--
 \        "Last year I went fishing with Salvador Dali. He was using a |
  `\       dotted line. He caught every other fish."  -- Steven Wright |