python vs perl lines of code

Edward Elliott nobody at 127.0.0.1
Wed May 17 19:37:53 EDT 2006

achates wrote:

> It probably says something about your coding style, particularly in
> perl. I've found (anecdotally of course) that while perl is potentially
> the more economical language, writing *legible* perl takes a lot more
> space.

I'm sure it does.  My perl (from 5 years ago) may be considered verbose (or
not, I don't know).  I avoid shortcuts like $_, use strict mode, etc.  Then
again I frequently use short forms like "statement if/unless (blah);" when
appropriate.  So there's a big personal component in there.

But again, the interesting thing to me isn't what could one do, it's what
are people actually doing in the real world?

--
Edward Elliott
UC Berkeley School of Law (Boalt Hall)