hi,everyone. a problem with shelve Module

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Fri May 26 05:41:18 EDT 2006

    >> i only write ten records like this:

    >>                name         sex           age

    >>                 jim            male         22
    >>                 tom           male         23
    >>                 lucy           female      21

    >> but  i find  the size of this file .oh my god , it is about 24k

    >> the file is too large !    is it normal ?

Yes.  It's the nature of packages like Berkeley DB, gdbm and dbm (the
packages mediate access to the database file under the covers) that they
trade space for time.  The files they create are not simple text files.
They are organized to permit quick access to records by key and to permit
average time fast insertion.

Skip