Memory leak in Python

Peter Tillotson none at no.chance
Tue May 9 04:21:27 EDT 2006

1) Review your design - You say you are processing a large data set,
just make sure you are not trying to store  3 versions. If you are
missing a design, create a flow chart or something that is true to the
code you have produced. You could probably even post the design if you
are brave enough.

2) Check your implementation - make sure you manage lists, arrays etc
correctly. You need to sever links (references) to objects for them to
get swept up. I know it is obvious but easy to do in a hasty implementation.

3) Verify and test problem characteristics, profilers, top etc. It is
hard for us to help you much without more info. Test your assumptions.

Problem solving and debugging is a process, not some mystic art. Though
sometime the Gremlins disappear after a pint or two :-)