Tabs versus Spaces in Source Code

achates aylwyn at cantab.net
Wed May 17 10:04:51 EDT 2006

Jorge Godoy wrote

>Emacs guess what's used in the file and allows me to use tabs all the time,
>doing the correct thing...

That sounds like useful behaviour.

Maybe this is an area where modern editors might be able to save us
from ourselves. I'll admit I'm suspicious of relying on editor
functionality - I'm happier if I know I can also use the old-school
methods just in case.. Sometimes adding intelligence to an interface
can be a usability disaster if it makes wrong assumptions about what
you want. But if people are hell-bent on converting tabs to spaces,
maybe it's the best way to accommodate them.