Using time.sleep() in 2 threads causes lockup when hyper-threading is enabled

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Wed May 3 22:55:12 EDT 2006

On 2006-05-04, OlafMeding at gmail.com <OlafMeding at gmail.com> wrote:

> Please try.
>
> The sleep statement does not return!

Never, or does it just take a long time?

> And this should not happen.

Dude, it's MS Windows.

It does all _sorts_ of stuff that it shouldn't.

Having sleep() take orders of magnitude longer than it should
is not an uncommon complaint for MS Windows users.  There was a
fairly extensive thread in this group about that problem just a
few weeks ago.  IIRC, disabling some other program or service
fixed it for one MS victem.

> The code above does nothing special or unusual.  The problem
> only occurs if 2 threads use the sleep statement and
> hyper-threading is enabled.

That part is new.  I'm pretty sure other people who complained
about sleep() not returning in a reasonable amount of time saw
it all of the time.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I was giving HAIR
                                  at               CUTS to th' SAUCER PEOPLE