saving settings

SuperHik junkytownMAKNI at gmail.com
Mon May 29 09:46:46 EDT 2006

Diez B. Roggisch wrote:
> SuperHik wrote:
>
>> aum wrote:

>>> Yikes!!!
>>>
>>> I'd strongly suggest you read the doco for ConfigParser, and load/save
>>> your config file to/from os.path.join(os.path.expanduser("~")).
>>>
>>> Another option - save your stuff in the Windows Registry
>>>
>> but if I copy this file on the other computer settings will be lost...
>
> It _might_ come as a shock to you, but when you install e.g. Word on another
> computer, there aren't any documents coming with it. Especially not the
> ones you wrote on that other machine.
that doesn't shock me :p
anyway you're talking about instalation while I'm talkig about single
standalone file.
Besides, if it was neccessary I bet MS would make that option (and it
wouldn't be a problem since installation is not done from a sinlge file
but from the CD (should be CD-RW in that case) with lots of files and
directories so they'd create just another directory on the installation
CD, say \All Documents\ )

> Seriously: Who is going to copy a executable around?
Obviously I am. :D
Do you know of any
> other program that behaves like that?
No, but for most programs I used I never bothered to check where did
they put their settings.
That's just the thing, I'm not a professional programmer so I was
wondering is it possible to do it, and if it is how much trouble would
it be. If nothing I will just make a config file right next to the
executable..

> Diez
thanks!