Variable name has a typo, but code still works. Why?

mateus mateus.justino at gmail.com
Wed May 31 19:09:32 EDT 2006

Well, one by one I checked for the presence of both sessions and
session in the globals dictionary (within showReport(), but outside of
the loops).

Neither one of them existed previously, thus and I received the
exception about them not being found:

  File "/home/mjpl/hct/repository/hct/tutoo.py", line 219, in loadNext
    self.loadStage(self.cur+1)
  File "/home/mjpl/hct/repository/hct/tutoo.py", line 195, in loadStage
    self.stageFrame.show()
  File
"/home/mjpl/hct/repository/hct/stages/resultadoframe/resultadoframe.py",
line 17, in show
    self.listView.showReport()
  File "/home/mjpl/hct/repository/hct/widgets/deviceview.py", line 54,
in showReport
    print globals()['session']
KeyError: 'session'

So, I tried using other variable names for the outer and inner loops
with the only difference of one letter.  I then got the expected
message about the variable name not being encountered.

I returned the variable names to 'sessions' and 'session' respectively,
and I got the same error about the name 'session' not being founded.  I
can only assume that there was some type of cache problem.  Could it
have been in the .pyc?  I thought that was recompiled every time a .py
is run/set to be interpreted.  I'm sure I got that last sentence wrong.