Matplotlib in Python vs. Matlab, which one has much better graphical pressentation?

Alexander Schmolck a.schmolck at gmail.com
Thu May 11 18:03:23 EDT 2006

N/A <NA at NA.com> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Can I have your opinions on Matlab vs. Matplotlib in Python in terms of 2D and
> 3D graphical presentation please.
>

> Matplotlib in Python vs. Matlab, which one has much better graphical
> pressentation?

As far as 2D plots are concerned I think matplotlib has been superior for some
time now, but 3D plot support is only in the making (other options do exist,
but I haven't tried MayaVi and co).

However, if you've got a license for matlab anyway, you can also fairly easily
use it from python and mix and match as required (see my mlabwrap module at
<http://mlabwrap.sf.net>).

E.g. do do a pretty surface plot from python, try:

  >>> from mlabwrap import mlab; from scipy import *
  >>> xx = arange(-2*pi, 2*pi, 0.2)
  >>> mlab.surf(subtract.outer(sin(xx),cos(xx)))

Once matplotlib is up to the task, it should be easy to get rid of matlab
dependencies in you code.

'as