Python & SSL

James Stroud jstroud at ucla.edu
Tue May 2 15:33:26 EDT 2006

Hello All,

I have been trying to make an https client with python, but it seems
that, to do this, one needs to have the socket module compiled with ssl.
This is not the default. So I have a couple of questions.

       1. Where do I specify to compile socket with ssl? I found no
          obvious option in configure or setup.py or several other
          files I checked.
       2. Is there a way to do this without re-compiling all of python?

Also, I have done numerous combinations of searches with ssl, https, &
python as terms, but I haven't found a page outlining the steps to make
a certificate and key that python understands. Has anyone been
successful at this? Did you use openssl? I want to make sure I am doing
this part correctly.

Thanks in advance for any help.

James

--