which windows python to use?

Ten runlevelten at gmail.com
Thu May 11 14:03:24 EDT 2006

On Thursday 11 May 2006 13:38, Brian Blais wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Are there any recommendations for which Windows python version to use?  I'd
> like to see a pros-and-cons description of each, given that different uses
> might dictate different versions.  The versions I know (and there are
> surely more) are:
>
> 1) download from www.python.org
> 2) enthought
> 3) activepython
>
> Are there advantages/disadvantages?  I have used enthought before, but it
> seems as if they are not at 2.4, and may lag behind in versions (which may
> not be a bad thing).
>
> Any other recommendations?

As mentioned elsewhere, it depends what your criteria are.

Will it be deployed to end users? Your servers? Is python itself being bundled
with the program? Is the target a cross-platform or single-platform app?
Etc.?

If you want "general" advice, here it is: I'd stick with python python and
install what extras you need yourself.

I've always used the python from python.org and added stuff I need, and I have
to be honest, I haven't come across a single comparative disadvantage of
doing so yet.

Besides, I think installing modules yourself and knowing what's *extra* for an
average python-enabled machine is a Good Thing.

--
There are 10 types of people in this world,