critique this little script, if you like

Alexis Roda arv.nntp at gmail.com
Mon May 1 11:45:44 EDT 2006

John Salerno escribió:
> Alexis Roda wrote:
>>
>>  > The
>>  > try block seems nicer because it doesn't have such an ugly-looking
>> check
>>  > to make.
>>

> Why do you think that this try block is preferred over what I have (if I
> were to stick with the try block)?

My example has nothing to do with your script, apart from trying to
illustrate why I think you should use "if" instead of "try" with a kind
of "reductio ad absurdum" reasoning.

To me i == 0 seems as ugly as len(sys.argv) == 1 (*), so, according to
your statement about ugly checks, you should avoid code like:

if i == 0 :
     do_something_if_zero()

and write something like:

try:
     x = 1 / i
except ZeroDivisionError :
     do_something_if_zero()

but probably you wouldn't, the "if" block seems more "natural" than the
convoluted "try" block, so ...

Regards

(*) len(sys.argv) == 1 is exactly the same as len(sys.argv) - 1 == 0