beginner: using parameter in functions

John McMonagle jmcmonagle at velseis.com.au
Wed May 31 19:57:13 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-31 at 23:24 +0000, 3rdshiftcoder wrote:
> hi-
>
> i am having trouble using parameter values in my function and to be honest a
> little trouble with
> member variables.  i am trying to pass in the argument 'd' representing
> delete.
> what the code will do is if it is 'd' it will make a delete query template
> string.
> if it is an 'i' then insert query etc.
>
> this is the results of my attempt to print the contents of the parameter
> values.
> <__main__.getQryStr instance at 0x01151D50> ('d',) me mad
>

> (and on a side note if i dont include the *args i get an invalid number of
> parameters supplied message.)
> why is it returning the value in this format ('d',) ?
> i cant get x == d
> i guess that value 'd' is stored in a tuple and i'd like to get it out of
> there.
>
> so basically the function returns nope as it stands
>
> python is sure different from other languages i have used.
>
> thanks for any help,
> jim

Try, the following:

class getQryStr:
    def __init__(self,op):
        print op
        self.x = 'd'
    def returnStr(self, *args):

        print '%s %s me mad' % (self.x,args)
        if self.x == 'd':
            s = Template("delete from columndef where tblid = $tblid and
colname = $colname")
        else:
            return 'nope' #this else is just for illustration and
testing

        d = dict(tblid=t.tblid.getText(), colname=t.colName.getText())

        print s.substitute(d)

        return s

Regards,

John