A critic of Guido's blog on Python's lambda

Ken Tilton kentilton at gmail.com
Sun May 7 23:57:37 EDT 2006

olsongt at verizon.net wrote:
> Alex Martelli wrote:

>>>This is a curious statement, given that Python is famous for scaling well.
>>
>>I think "ridiculous" is a better characterization than "curious", even
>>if you're seriously into understatement.
>>

> When you consider that there was just a big flamewar on comp.lang.lisp
> about the lack of standard mechanisms for both threading and sockets in
> Common Lisp (with the lispers arguing that it wasn't needed) I find it
> "curious" that someone can say Common Lisp scales well.

We're talking about whether the language can grow to have new
capabilities, while you are talking about libraries, and specifically
whether different implementations have the same API. They all have
sockets, just not the same API, probably because, to be honest that is
not something that belongs in a /language/ API.

But those of us who bounce from implementation to implementation see a
standard APi as saving us some conditional compilation and (effectively)
rolling our own common API out of dii implementation's socket APIs, so a
few socket gurus are working on a standard now.

And yes, they will be able to do this with Common Lisp as it stands.

Try to think a little more rigorously in these discussions, Ok?

Thx, kenny

"Have you ever been in a relationship?"
    Attorney for Mary Winkler, confessed killer of her
    minister husband, when asked if the couple had
    marital problems.