A critic of Guido's blog on Python's lambda

David C. Ullrich ullrich at math.okstate.edu
Wed May 10 08:53:56 EDT 2006

On Tue, 09 May 2006 05:35:47 -0500, David C. Ullrich
<ullrich at math.okstate.edu> wrote:

>On Mon, 08 May 2006 18:46:57 -0400, Ken Tilton <kentilton at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>[...]
>
>If you, um, look at the code you see that "cells.a = 42" triggers
>cells.__setattr__, which fires a's callback; the callback then
>reaches inside and sets the value of b _without_ going through
>__setattr__, hence without triggering b's callback.
>
>In Cells you can't have A depend on B and also B depend on A?
>That seems like an unfortunate restriction - I'd want to be
>able to have Celsius and Farenheit, so that setting either
>one sets the other.

Realized later that I hadn't thought this through.

I'd been assuming that of course we should be allowed to
have A and B depend on each other. Hence if a change in
A propagates to a change in B that change in B has to
be a non-propagating change - thought I was just so
clever seeing a way to do that.

But duh, if that's how things are then we can't have
transitive dependencies working out right; surely we
want to be able to have B depend on A and then C
depend on B...

(And also if A and B are allowed to depend on each
other then the programmer has to ensure that the
two rules are inverses of each other, which seems
like a bad constraint in general, something non-trivial
that the programmer has to get right.)

So fine, no loops. If anything, if we know that
there are no loops in the dependencies that simplifies
the rest of the programming, no need for the sort of
finagling described in the first paragraph above.
But this raises a question:

Q: How do we ensure there are no loops in the dependencies?

Do we actually run the whole graph through some algorithm
to verify there are no loops?

The simplest solution seems like adding the cells one
at a time, and only allowing a cell to depend on
previously added cells. It's clear that that would
prevent loops, but it's not clear to me whether or
not that disallows some non-looping graphs. A
math question the answer to which is not immediately
clear to me (possibly trivial, the question just
ocurred to me this second):

Say G is a (finite) directed graph with no loops. Is it always
possible to order the vertices in such a way that
every edge goes from a vertex to a _previous_ vertex?