Using python for a CAD program

63q2o4i02 at sneakemail.com 63q2o4i02 at sneakemail.com
Wed May 17 12:50:51 EDT 2006

Thanks for this.  I'm enjoying this discussion and I'm learning a lot
about people's views and how they differ from mine.

However, I'm still wondering about my original post.

Can the experts please comment on python's usage for the following:

1.  Databases.  Assuming I roll my own, does python have any
performance issues for this sort of thing?

2.  GUI. Can Python command the various gui libraries fast enough to
qualify as game-quality, with transparency, anti-aliasing, animations,
etc?

3.  Computational stuff like simulations and rules-checking.  I'm just
going to assume this needs to be in C++ or pyrex or SciPy or something.

4.  Programmability.  How do I embed an interpreter which has some
custom CLI commands and knowledge of the graphical conext and which has
exposure to the API used in the main application, such that to the user
all the necessary things are exposed by default, and so that it doesn't
feel like it's just a disconnected console window that he/she needs to
set up manually each time?

5.  Threads and parallelism.  Should I even bother?  I've read that
it's possibly more tricky with python than with normal dev tools.  I've
never done it, but I'd like to at least think about it up front so
if/when this goes MT it's not a complete rewrite from the ground up.

thanks
ms