python vs perl lines of code

John Bokma john at castleamber.com
Wed May 17 17:59:48 EDT 2006

Edward Elliott <nobody at 127.0.0.1> wrote:

> John Bokma wrote:
>
>> Edward Elliott <nobody at 127.0.0.1> wrote:
>>> Evaluating my experiences yes, relating your own no.
>>
>> What would the point be? Most important to me would be: am I happy
>> with the result? And that rarely has to do with the number of lines
>> of actual code or the programming language. A language is just a
>> tool.
>
> The point is knowing how to pick the right tool for the right job.

True, and I don't think that the number of lines is going to be a good
guideline.

> Anecdotes aren't the answer but they can be the beginning of the
> question. Besides, whatever happened to pursuing knowledge for its own
> sake?

Sure, but research without being able to peer review the set up is a bit
difficult. If you want an anecdote: three years ago my Perl coding was
different from now, and I am sure that my Python coding (when I get
there), will be different compared to if I had learned the language 3
years ago. Mind, I am not saying that I am going to program Python the
Perl way, just that in 3 years I have learned stuff I can use in other
languages as well.

--
John                               MexIT: http://johnbokma.com/mexit/
                           personal page:       http://johnbokma.com/