Process forking on Windows

Andrew Robert andrew.arobert at gmail.com
Wed May 17 12:02:16 EDT 2006

bruno at modulix wrote:
> Andrew Robert wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>

>> I have a python program that will need to interact with an MQSeries
>> trigger monitor.
>>
>> It does this fine but it hogs the trigger monitor while it executes.
>>
>> I'd like to fork the program off and terminate the parent process so
>> that the trigger monitor frees up.
>
> <just-asking>
> Is this really the solution ?
> </just-asking>
>
>> Does anyone how this can be accomplished on a Windows platform?
>
> AFAIK, there's no fork in Windows - you might want to give a try with
> CreateProcess.
> http://www.byte.com/art/9410/sec14/art3.htm
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnucmg/html/UCMGch01.asp
>
> HTH

Unfortunately there is a real need for this.

The MQSeries trigger monitor is single threaded.

Because of this, my program would absorb it until it completes.

The way to get around this would be to fork off and terminate the parent.

Unfortunately, Windows appears to be somewhat stubborn about it.

Creating a subprocess does not alleviate the need to get the originating
process out of the trigger monitor.