John Bokma harassment

David Squire David.Squire at no.spam.from.here.au
Tue May 30 05:11:52 EDT 2006

Max M wrote:
> John Bokma wrote:
>> ilitzroth at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Your first question should be: Is it alright that Xah harasses 5
>> newsgroups? Or maybe work on your spelling, harass is with one r, but
>> maybe you didn't read the subject, which wouldn't amaze me, since you
>> sound like you should be spending time on MySpace OMG!.
>

> I assume that the single l in alright is the courteous misspelling that
> should allways be in a posting, when correcting other peoples speling?

Nope. Oxford English Dictionary has:

	alright

	a frequent spelling of all right.

And Merriam-Webster has:

alright
Pronunciation: (")ol-'rIt, 'ol-"
Function: adverb or adjective
: ALL RIGHT
usage The one-word spelling alright appeared some 75 years after all
right itself had reappeared from a 400-year-long absence. Since the
early 20th century some critics have insisted alright is wrong, but it
has its defenders and its users. It is less frequent than all right but
remains in common use especially in journalistic and business
publications. It is quite common in fictional dialogue, and is used
occasionally in other writing <the first two years of medical school
were alright -- Gertrude Stein>.

DS