performance difference between OSx and Windows

Avizoa at gmail.com Avizoa at gmail.com
Sun May 21 19:29:42 EDT 2006

Brian wrote:
> I have been a Mac and linux guy since 1998 and except for a handful of
> times, have not touched a MS box since then.  This changes a few days
> ago when I needed to get a MS box for another project.  This leads me
> to my question...
>
> A while ago, I borrowed a python script from someone's blog that showed
> some interesting profiling schemes.  I made some modifications to it,
> ran it and until I got this new machine forgot about it.  Just for
> kicks I ran it again on both boxes to see what the differences were.
> To say I was surprised is an understatement.  Here is the code:

*snip*

> While the CPU speed on the G5 was faster the total execution time was
> much quicker on the MS box.  Can anyone give some suggestions as to why
> this is?
>
> Thanks,
> Brian

1. Your test only makes use of one core. So it's a comparison between a
G5 and an Athlon 64. Which brings us to...

2. The K8 architecture is, in most operations, far superior to the G5
architecture, Apple's benchmarks notwithstanding.

You see, the way IBM cut down its Power 4 to make the PPC970 left it a
bit weak it the heavy lifting ability. The K8, however, is heir to the
amazing Alpha architecture's legacy.

While the G5 has no problems beating out the marketing-driven P4
architecture, it can't compete clock for clock with the K8.