python 2.5a2, gcc 4.1 and memory problems

nnorwitz at gmail.com nnorwitz at gmail.com
Tue May 9 01:28:04 EDT 2006

Michele Petrazzo wrote:
> nnorwitz at gmail.com wrote:
> > Michele Petrazzo wrote:
> >> I haven't tried to recompile py 2.4 myself with gcc 4.1 because it
> >> is already compiled with it (4.0.3), so I think (only think) that
> >> is a py 2.5 problem. I'm right? or I have to compile it with
> >> something other switches?
> >
> > Sounds like a gcc problem to me.  Try adding --with-pydebug in the
> > configure options.  My guess is that it will work.  This option
> > enables asserts, but more importantly disables optimization.
>
> Yes, with this option it work, but has very bad performances.

Sure, you didn't say if you tried just disabling optimization.  That is
often a problem.  configure normally, but change the optimization from
-O3 to -O0, -O1, and -O2.  My guess is that -O1 will work and -O2
won't.  Even -O0 will be faster than --with-pydebug since assertions
won't be enabled (you may need to pass --without-pydebug to disable the
option).