Reading XST file

Thomas Thomas thomas at eforms.co.nz
Tue May 2 20:58:17 EDT 2006

Hi All,

I need extract the content of an XST file to dictionary object..

below is content of that file
from work centre XST

[description XRX_DSCRPT_METADATA]
 field_0{
     string MetaDataFieldName = "title";
     string MetaDataPrompt = "Title";
     string MetaDataType = "string";
     string MetaDataValue = "Student Letter";
 }
 field_1{
     string MetaDataFieldName = "collectionname";
     string MetaDataPrompt = "CollectionName";
     string MetaDataType = "string";
     string MetaDataValue = "999888777666";
 }
 field_2{
     string MetaDataFieldName = "summary";
     string MetaDataPrompt = "Summary";
     string MetaDataType = "string";
     string MetaDataValue = "newman";
 }

[description xrx_dscrpt_metadata]
entry_1{
      string MetaDataFieldName = "Job Reference";
      string MetaDataPrompt = "Job Reference";
      string MetaDataDefaultValue = "";
      string MetaDataValue = "jgutbcfrvewf";
 }
entry_2{
      string MetaDataFieldName = "Price Text";
      string MetaDataPrompt = "Price Text";
      string MetaDataDefaultValue = "";
      string MetaDataValue = "758bf6";
 }

I want a hash to be build based on the content like resulthash ={1:{"MetaDataFieldName" :"Price Text","MetaDataPrompt":"Price Text","MetaDataDefaultValue" :"","MetaDataValue":"758bf6",}, and so on for all ocuurences..}

I started using file objects  ..and was thinking is a better way to approach this scenario

from os.path import *
filename="c:\sxtfile.xst";
if exists(filename):
   if isfile(filename):
       f = open(filename, "rb")
       for line in f.readlines():
           print line
   else:
       print "I cannot see a file of this name"

cheers

Thomas Thomas

phone  +64 7 855 8478
fax        +64 7 855 8871