problem with reload(sys) (doing reload on the sys module)

nick nobody at nowhere.non
Thu May 4 12:57:10 EDT 2006

Looks like a bug (probably in IDLE): when I start IDLE from the command
line, it pops up its interaction window and here is what it says about
stdout:

IDLE 1.1.2
>>> import sys
>>> sys.stdout
<idlelib.rpc.RPCProxy instance at 0xb76a490c>

Then I try the reload and I get no output in the interaction
window:

>>> reload(sys)
>>> sys.stdout

After the reload, stdout has been changed to the terminal from which
IDLE got started, so I see the messages there:

<module 'sys' (built-in)>
<open file '<stdout>', mode 'w' at 0xb7b67068>

As you can see, stdout has been redefined (back to the way it would be if
you started Python from the command line, with no IDLE involved).
--
nick  (nicholas dot dokos at hp dot com)