Python update trouble (2.3 to 2.4): x<<y

Gonzalo Monzón gmc at serveisw3.net
Sun May 21 15:22:32 EDT 2006

Thank you for all the suggestions! :-)

The C routine is almost -changing data type long for word- a copy of the
function given by a hardware manufacturer, the same code used in their
firmware to calc the checksum of every piece of data sent or received,
and that data is somewhat special: it does not contain only plain ascii
character data (only 0x01 - 0x09 as delimiters) and every data set ends
with a 0x00 null byte so its fine to calculating checksum until "\x00"
is reached. And I must get the same crc calculations. That C routine
(and a very similar PHP one too) are tested for months and work smoothly.

And of course I should use integer not long!!... we aren't anymore in
the 8 bit computer era... ;-) original code from hardware manufacturer
use words by the way. And now really don't know why I used long. I
thought I did that way 'cause see pyrex C generated glue code always
using PyInt_FromLong so thought would use the same type.

I changed the C function to use integer, and it is performing a little
bit slowly than using longs (best with long: 0.614us, best with int:
0.629us), that is maybe as I said due pyrex glueing always the return
values with PyObject* PyInt_FromLong for all kind of short int to long
data types? Anyway both results are fine, and the timming gap is
insignificant (int: 1580403 loops -> 0.973 secs, long: 1601902 loops ->
1.01 secs) as i usually never have to call more than 100,000 times when

As a note for the checksum algorithm used here, I thought the hardware
manufacturer implemented this some years ago for serial data
transmission, but later attached some ethernet ports and they wanted to
have the protocol compatible. Anyway as I see in the link you reply, it
seems to be based in CCITT CRC-16, but they adapted to their own
requirements -performace issues for the hardware unit?- (never 0x00, etc.)

Regards,
Gonzalo.