python challenge question (string manipulation)

Wed Mar 29 14:27:13 EST 2006

Ok, for those who have gotten as far as level 2 (don't laugh!), I have a
question. I did the translation as such:

import string

alphabet = string.lowercase[:26]
code = string.lowercase[2:26] + 'ab'
clue = "g fmnc wms bgblr rpylqjyrc gr zw fylb. rfyrq ufyr amknsrcpq ypc
  dmp. bmgle gr gl zw fylb gq glcddgagclr ylb rfyr'q ufw rfgq rcvr gq qm
jmle. sqgle qrpgle.kyicrpylq() gq pcamkkclbcb. lmu ynnjw ml rfc spj."

trans = string.maketrans(alphabet, code)
clue = clue.translate(trans)

print clue
raw_input()

It works, but is there a better way to shift the letters of the alphabet
for 'code'? I remember a method that did this for lists, I think, but I
can't remember what it was or if it worked for strings.

Thanks.