Pycrypto - active ??

Frank Millman frank at chagford.com
Tue Mar 21 01:19:56 EST 2006

Paul Rubin wrote:

> TLSLite's main causes of slowness are: 1) time needed compiling and
> installation; 2) very slow speed of the symmetric ciphers implemented
> in Python.  You need m2crypto, cryptlib, or pycrypto to speed these
> symmetric operations up.

Right. These are the ones that I could not find Python 2.4 binaries
for.

> GMPY speeds up the public key operations, which otherwise use Python's
> native long int arithmetic.  But the public key operation is done only
> at the start of the session, and Python's arithmetic (though slower
> than GMPY) is implemented in C and is not all that bad.  On a modern
> machine, the difference from GMPY is maybe a few tens of milliseconds
> at the start of the TLS session, and none at all (the public key phase
> is finished) once the session is established.

Interesting. This explains my results. Thanks for the detailed info.

> TLSLite is so far not really a complete SSL implementation by itself.
> It doesn't know how to properly check the signatures on certificate
> chains.  It has to use an external module like m2crypto for that.

When you say "It has to ...", do you mean that TLSLite will do this
automatically if m2crypto is installed, or is it up to me to call the
m2crypto functions to perform this check?

TIA

Frank