is there such a built-in funciton, similar to filter

wcc wccppp at gmail.com
Sun Mar 5 05:33:43 EST 2006

Hello,

Beginner learning Python here.  I know filter(lambda x: x > 3, [1, 2,
5, -3, 4, 8]) will give me a list [5, 4, 8].  What if I only need to
find the first item in the list that returns Ture when applying the
filter function.  In this case, I only want to get the 5, and its index
2.  Is there a built-in function, or function from a module for that?
I think it is not hard to write a function for this.  But knowing
Python is "battery included", I thought I'd like to ask.  Thanks for
your help.

- wcc