Cheese Shop: some history for the new-comers

Ron Adam rrr at ronadam.com
Sun Mar 12 14:24:59 EST 2006

Fredrik Lundh wrote:
> Ron Adam wrote:
>
>> I think the PSF is important enough to have a link on *every* page. It
>> doesn't need a lot of space, but it should be easy to get to from
>> anywhere on the web site.
>
> a copyright blurb at the bottom of the page would be one obvious place to
> put it.

Yes, that was my first thought, but I think since the PFS is directly
involved in recruiting and organizing support for the development of
python and the python community, it probably needs to be a bit more
prominent than that.

I think there is still room for improving the grouping of the web site
in general.  For example you could consider that there are three major
groups...

* For Python users:  Those using python to write programs.  This would b
e the introduction, the user/library guide, the tutorial, and other
documentation on how to use python for writing programs along with the
download links for the current versions.

* Python product(s) suppliers:  Finished applications modules and tools
written in python and third party information/products for python users.
  (outside website links, books, t-shirts, and other items ... also fit
in this catagory)

* Python development and support:  For the development of the python
core and the python library, the documentation, and the web site.  As
well as the PFS.

These overlap, but the nice thing about hyper linked documents is that
general groupings can be maintained and it still works.  While the PFS
is in the third group, since it is involved in both seeking and
promoting support of python, it needs to be visible in the other groups
as well.

Of course, others would probably arrange things differently. :)

   Ron