Peter Naur wins ACM Turing Award

Kay Schluehr kay.schluehr at gmx.net
Tue Mar 7 01:35:21 EST 2006

Terry Reedy wrote:
> http://campus.acm.org/public/pressroom/press_releases/3_2006/turing_3_01_2006.cfm
>
> Peter Naur was co-developer of Backus/Naur grammar notation, co-author and
> editor of the Algol 60 specification, and co-developer of a successful
> Algol compiler.

That's very fine. Peter Naur has to be honored before he dies and Algol
gets forgotten forever. Sarkasm mode off. Is it just me who thinks that
this grand-old-man gala should be cancelled and replaced by a fields
medal mode where the jury has to prove that it is a little more up to
date? Maybe being at age of 50 would be good upper limit ( our
societies grow older ;) This mode would enable to honor Simon Peyton
Jones and Philip Wadler for Haskell and introducing monads to Haskell
before the language is phased out in 20+ years.