CP4E? (was: Help - just a few lines of code needed)

Cameron Laird claird at lairds.us
Tue Mar 7 09:08:03 EST 2006

In article <1141697135.350106.238840 at j33g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
 <johnzenger at gmail.com> wrote:
>There is some fine permutation code in the cookbook.  Take a look at
>http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Cookbook/Python/Recipe/190465 .
>
>You can easily code something like:
			.
			.
			.
>> Unfortunately I am not able to program it myself, so
>> I would appreciate if someone could write this piece of
>> software, compile it (for DOS or Windows) and send the .exe file to:
>>
>> lory88 at gmail . com
>
>Meet us halfway, here.  At least install Python.
>
>Also, it's a dangerous world out there.  Don't run .exe s sent to you
>by people you don't know.

All true.

This situation rather intrigues me at what I'll call a
managerial level.  I'm sympathetic to the possibility
that Lory might have a life where compilation and
script-launching and our other commonplaces are very
remote; I salute him or her for recognizing that
string permutation is indeed a feasible goal for a
simple .EXE.  I know *I* sometimes am in the situation
of not having a useful Windows installation of a C
compiler, or adequate Java environment, or ..., and I
lean on the kindnesss o strangers at least temporarily.

At the same time, there's little incentive for
comp.lang.python to take on the burden of application
development for transients in Pythonia.  Lory, we can
walk you through the "at least install Python" part Mr.
Zenger mentions above in ten minutes; truly, it'll take
less time than it would to negotiate delivery of a
special-purpose executable for you.

I remain curious:  how'd you come to Python for your
need?  Is there some particular reason--most likely,
that you're a potential Python student yourself--that
we should help you?  Is there a reason--that this is
an assignment you're to do on your own?--that we should
*not*?