doctest-alike for a unix shell?

Paddy paddy3118 at netscape.net
Tue Mar 14 02:19:47 EST 2006

Thanks for the pointer to dejagnu, although it is not what I was after.

The question came about because I was scripting an interface to an
electronics design automation tool that comes with a TCL interface.
I was using a companion perl script called from the TCL to do most of
the more complex checking (I am still not allowed Python at work, sob).

I found myself testing the perl script by calling it repeatedly from
tcsh , with different options and different files and directories
created in its run directory that I knew it was sensitive to. I
scrolled back in my xterm window and thought that there before me was
most of my tests! If only their was doctest for tcsh, I could tell the
tool what my prompt strings were, cut-n-paste my shell session, and
Bobs yer uncle!

I guess doctest-alikes could be created for a lot of shell type
interfaces with distinct prompts.

- Paddy.