Which GUI toolkit is THE best?

Thomas Guettler niemand.leermann at thomas-guettler.de
Fri Mar 10 09:50:59 EST 2006

Am Fri, 10 Mar 2006 13:36:18 +0100 schrieb invitro81:

> Hello
>
> I've recently learnt python and I do love it! I congratulate all those
> geeks who produce this nice language; well, because I could be called a
> nearby newbee I've decided to improve my abilities by writing my own
> nice editor with python; so I've to choose among all those GUI toolkit's
> available there..
>
> But I've no idea which one I should use to start with.. I've read that
> tkinter seems to be the de facto standart in the pyhon community; but
> why?

No, tkinter is not the standard. It is justed part of the standard
library.

Here is what I think:

tkinter (or better TK) has no good table widget.

The licence for QT is GPL, this means you cannot use it in commercial
application. That is why I never looked at it.

wx is better than tkinter. But it is big and there are too many
layers: WxPython -> WxWidgets -> gtk
I tried some examples, but it didn't "feel" good.

Now I use pygtk. I code everything, I don't used glade or something
like this.

 HTH,
   Thomas

--