Inline assignments

Alex Martelli aleaxit at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 9 10:55:11 EST 2006

<jillson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recommend reading Effective Java (Bloch), specifically the beginning
> of the exceptions chapter, for more details why using exceptions to
> exit loops is a bad thing (and while the title is effective java, much
> of it is directly applicable to a lot of python code)

I recommend instead using Python books, rather than Java ones, to
explore optimal Python style. Josh is a colleague of mine (as is Matt
Austern, if you're looking for a C++ guru), and his book is part of the
"canon" (books handed out to incoming new engineers) just as much as
mine, but we have three SEPARATE style guidelines for the key three
languages we use -- Java, Python, C++.

Many of us routinely code in two of the three languages (a few code in
all three) and we have no problem "switching gears" to use each language
in the way that best suits that SPECIFIC language, rather than futilely
trying to "code Java in Python" or any of the other 5 wrong ways;-).

Alex