Trouble with numpy-0.9.4 and numpy-0.9.5

Travis E. Oliphant oliphant.travis at ieee.org
Wed Mar 1 12:59:53 EST 2006

drife wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use the Python Numeric package extensively, and had been an
> avid user of the "old" scipy. In my view, both pieces of software
> are truly first rate, and have greatly improved my productivity in
> the area of scientific analysis. Thus, I was excited to make the
> transition to the new scipy core (numpy).
>
> Unfortunately, I am experiencing a problem that I cannot sort
> out. I am running Python 2.4.2 on a Debian box (V3.1), using
> gcc version 3.3.5, and ATLAS, BLAS, and LAPACK libraries
> built from scratch. When building numpy everything seems to
> go AOK. But trouble soon follows.
>
> As a sanity check, I run the diagnostic tests that come as
> part of the numpy package:
>
> from numpy import *
> from scipy import *
>
> test(level=N)  #  N can vary from 1 to 10. :
>

> No matter which test I run, Python crashes hard with only
> the following output: "Floating exception".

This could be related to the Debian glibc bug that has been discussed
before.   Aparently the Debian version of glibc had some issues with
SSE.  This is the same behavior experienced by others on the Debian
platform.  There is a patch, but I'm not sure what it is.

See, for example:

http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/Mail/Message/numpy-discussion/2207861

Come over to the numpy-discussion at lists.sourceforge.net and/or
scipy-user at scipy.net