Plone or TurboGears for Intranet

Ravi Teja webraviteja at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 03:43:16 EST 2006

They are very different tools, apples and oranges. Plone is built for
content management needs and TurboGears is built for general
application development purposes.

Both can work behind Apache but are not based on Apache. They use their
own servers.

Plone gives you a lot out of the box, but building Plone products, for
your custom needs, has a steep learning curve to it. TurboGears is
fairly simple to use and a good dev will probably take a day or so to
get the hang of it. On the other hand, it will take as much time to
learn to use Plone as an admin, let alone develop with it.

There are several case studies for Plone on the web. Just Google for
them. TurboGears won't have any since it is not officially production
software yet. Personally, I don't take software case studies seriously.
They are often too contextual, context that does not get adequately
communicated in the document all too often.

I would choose Plone to manage documents in the Intranet but stick to
TurboGears (or some other framework - there are several good ones) for
app development.