How to run SimpleHTTPServer on IronPython on Mono

sanxiyn at gmail.com sanxiyn at gmail.com
Sat Mar 18 21:55:50 EST 2006

Paul Boddie wrote:
> Sanghyeon Seo wrote:
> > The purpose of this document is twofold: to show how to run
> > SimpleHTTPServer on IronPython on Mono, and to debunk some myths like:
> >
> > * IronPython doesn't run on Mono
>
> But it does require recent versions, according to the document.
> Requiring the latest stuff straight from the revision control
> repository is always an inhibiting factor in the adoption of software.

Yes, it's unfortunate, as I wrote on the howto myself. Of course, you
can
use released version of MS.NET for easier install.

Also note that current release (1.1.13.4) of Mono runs and compiles
IronPython 1.0 Beta 1, 2, 3 just fine. Only the latest release (Beta 4)
has problems.

> > * IronPython doesn't support Python standard library
> > * IronPython is a toy
>
> I don't think people really believe either of these any more.

Maybe *you* don't, but take a look at the following thread for example:
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/browse_thread/thread/2762f6dfc5f72651

Some quotes:
"It seems, that usage of IronPython is currently limited to Windows
platform"
"However, there isn't e.g. a os-module in IronPython"

Which are, false. (They were false even at the time posts were
written.)

And finally, Ian Bicking said:
> I think concrete instructions on exactly how to get
> IronPython up and working -- for someone with no .NET experience or
> familiarity with that toolset -- would be an excellent way to bring
> more attention to IronPython from the existing Python community.

So that's exactly what I tried to do.

> IronPython developers haven't really done a good job at explaining
> the benefits of their work, or clearing up potential misconceptions.
> For example, take a look at the previously-promoted Web site:
>
> http://www.ironpython.com
>
> It's out-of-date and doesn't mention the current Web site, which is a
> mere section of some corporate "community" site for .NET: hardly a good
> way of promoting something with (potential for) a fairly decent brand
> identity.

I am aware of these problems and will discuss this in the mailing list
soon. At least, updating the website and having the public bug tracker
are important. (gotdotnet.com tracker isn't one IronPython team is
using.)

> Then, consider the licensing situation: whilst IronPython appears to
> have a fairly permissive licence [1], Microsoft have decided to put it
> under their "shared source" umbrella [2], confusing things
> substantially, (snip)
> However, one benefit of Microsoft's desire to simplify their licensing
> is that the resulting compatibility with existing licences has had some
> tentative recognition [3].
> [1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-legal/2005/08/msg00089.html

Do you realize *I* was the person asking for clarification of the
license
on debian-legal mailing list?

> If IronPython users consider themselves to be
> part of the wider Python community, is it a good thing that they're
> reliant on Microsoft to keep that community from fragmenting?

I quite don't get what you are trying to say here.

Seo Sanghyeon