creating variable in root namespace from module

MakaMaka justin.frost at gmail.com
Fri Mar 10 02:46:36 EST 2006

Hi,
I have a scope related question that I haven't been able to find an
answer to anywhere.  Is there a way to have a function in an imported
module add variables to the scope of the calling script?  Basically,
can I have the following:

#root.py
import some_module.py

some_module.afunction() # <== create a variable x1=1 and add it to the
scope of root.py

print x1  # <== would print 1

I know this can be accomplished by passing the what globals() returns
into the function; however, I'm wondering if there is a way to do this
without passing anything to the function.

Thanks!